Well, some days it was really exciting, other days I was lost most of the time. There were a few times I was scared, upset, surprised and absolutely blown away, but this boring question really only wants a one-word response.
It’s often asked with good intentions, if not slightly lazy ones. Rather than ask a bland question that has been asked a thousand times before, ask something that encourages an interesting answer. You’ll probably learn something interesting and the person you’re asking will be able to relive something meaningful from their travels.
10 better questions to ask a traveller
- What was your favourite city?
- What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
- How long did it take to pick up some of the language?
- What was the scariest moment?
- What were the locals you met like?
- Did you find any sights or activities a bit off the beaten track? Beyond the tourist traps?
- What was your favourite meal?
- What was the strangest thing you ate?
- What was the funniest/strangest/most insightful thing a local said?
- Where would you revisit? Would you ever move to any of those cities?
And that is just scratching the surface!
What are other good questions to ask a traveller? What do you love to ask, or be asked?
Want more like this in your inbox? Subscribe for updates.